C A S E S T U D Y
Paul Crowley & Co Solicitors successfully recovered almost £20,000 in compensation for a family from Wales, whose holiday was ruined after suffering food poisoning while staying at the Palm Beach Hotel in the Spanish resort of Benidorm.
Food poisoning on holiday
They had booked their all-inclusive 4 star rated package holiday on the Costa Blanca through tour operator Thomas Cook. The family had been dining at the hotel’s restaurant during their stay when they were struck down with stomach pains, diarrhoea and vomiting.
They had no one to turn to for help as there was no Thomas Cook holiday representative present throughout the family’s stay. They decided to self-medicate in an attempt to treat their food poisoning. It was extremely distressing for all the family and not the relaxed, fun holiday they had planned.
speak to the holiday illness legal experts
Upon returning home they contacted the Holiday Illness department of Paul Crowley & Co and spoke with head of department Hayley Webster for assistance in bringing about a claim against Thomas Cook.
The family explained about the poor standards of hygiene experienced at the hotel, claiming the food they had been served in the hotel restaurant was recycled, lukewarm, covered in flies and undercooked.
With expert legal help and advice from Hayley, the family were able to prove that the illness they had suffered, was as a result of failings in the hotel restaurant and that the hotel management had not followed the correct procedures for food hygiene standards.
“Many people do not realise that you can claim for compensation if you suffer illness whilst on a package holiday due to poor standards at the hotel, if you find yourself in this position call the Holiday Illness department at Paul Crowley & Co. Our experienced team will provide you with expert legal advice and representation in all aspects of holiday illness cases ensuring you receive the best possible outcome”.
Hayley Webster | Head of Holiday Illness
Paul Crowley & Co.