Special Guardianship

Paul Crowley & Co Solicitors Limited are experienced Special Guardianship Solicitors.

Special Guardianship appoints one or more people to be Special Guardians of a child. It will last until the child is 18. A special guardianship order bestows upon the special guardian parental responsibility i.e. the authority to make decisions relating to the child without having to obtain the agreement or indeed consult with anybody else.

However, a special guardian cannot change the child’s surname or take the child abroad for more than 3 months without the agreement of anybody else who has parental responsibility or the permission of the court.

Are you eligible to apply for a special guardianship order?

You may be eligible to apply for a Special Guardianship Order if you are caring for a child and have been for some time, and you are NOT one of the child’s parents.

If you think you may be eligible to apply, please contact Paul Crowley & Co Solicitors Limited and one of our specialist Special Guardianship Solicitors will take specific details relating to your case and advise you accordingly.

If you do not fall in to one of the categories of eligible applicants, there may be other orders that you can apply for – contact Paul Crowley & Co Solicitors Limited for advice concerning your own individual circumstances.


As Paul Crowley & Co Solicitors Limited have been awarded the Legal Services Commission Legal Aid Contract, Legal Aid is available depending on your circumstances.

Please ask for details. Or, for privately funded matters, please ask about our very reasonable rates when you call.


To speak with one of our Children Law Solicitors call us now on 0151 264 7363 or email us.